General Manager Ausdance NSW
TWO POSITIONS: General Manager, Ausdance NSW and General Manager, Ausdance Victoria
Title: General Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Days: Victoria FT (Mon-Friday), New South Wales 4 days a week
Salary Range: $70-80k (pro-rata PT)
Contract until the end of Dec 2020
Ausdance is looking for two exceptional individuals to be our new General Managers in NSW and Victoria respectively. The General Manager position is a leadership role within our organisation, a peak body for promoting dance in Australia. If you are an administrator with over 10 years of experience in budgeting and financial management, staff management, and grant writing and fundraising, this could be the role for you. A background in arts administration is desired but not essential.
We are looking for driven individuals who are looking to enhance their existing strategic leadership experience and take the next steps in their career by leading our organisation to its next phase of success.
About Ausdance Victoria and NSW
Ausdance Victoria and Ausdance NSW were founded in 1977 and are the sole peak bodies for dance in their state and play a key role in providing high-level strategic advice and vision for the sector. They are a part of a national Ausdance network with an office in nearly every state and territory in Australia. The Ausdance network has a history spanning over 40 years - formed for the Australian dance sector by its leaders and advocates.
The position of General Manager is a key leadership role for Ausdance in each state. Working collaboratively with the Executive Director, the Board, staff and the dance and arts community, we are seeking a General Manager with skills well suited to provide operational management of the organisation and its projects, implement the association’s strategic business plan and be a positive driver of the organisation, to enable the dance sector to thrive.
Send an email with your name, GM application, State (NSW/ VIC) in the email subject line to email@example.com
The application should include:
- Cover letter
- Written response to job criteria (maximum of 3 pages)
- A current resume
Last day of Submission: 5 P.M. 22nd September 2019
We strongly recommend a personal conversation with the Executive Director of Ausdance Vic and NSW before sending your application. Email Michelle Silby on firstname.lastname@example.org to book a call in.
Detailed position description
Proactively lead and manage the organisation in all areas, including stakeholder engagement, systems, and processes, financials, people, reporting, sustainability. Responsible for operational and office management.
Represent Ausdance NSW / Victoria at high-level stakeholder meetings.
Develop the plans, proposals, business cases, and project scopes to enable the implementation of the Ausdance strategic business plan. Work with the Executive Director to bring these initiatives to Board submission status. Board approved items are then implemented under the leadership of the General Manager.
As a guide, some areas of specific accountability include:
Promotion and Marketing
• Provide the lead in pursuing funding opportunities in line with the strategic plan.
• Ensure efficient processes for the seeking and securing of memberships.
• Oversee the development of the annual marketing plan.
• Create and maintain an efficient work environment where teamwork and knowledge sharing are embedded. Facilitate development opportunities and look for ways to do so within a tight budget framework.
• Recruit and develop team members, ensuring each employee understands their role and receives meaningful feedback on a regular basis.
• Manage all employment processes end to end, including reporting and compliance as set by the Executive Director. This includes compliance with employment and health and safety legislation and best practice.
• Liaise with the Board to organise board meetings, preparation, and distribution of Board papers, work with the team to develop Board submissions.
• Attend to Board requests for information.
Projects (internal & external)
Lead on certain projects including:
• Ausdance Network projects
• A joint partnership with Ausdance Vic
• Programs with our sector partners
• Others projects as identified
Work closely with and support the Projects and Program Manager and other staff on:
• Big Dance
• Dance NSW Industry day/events.
Fundraising and Philanthropic
Lead this area working closely with other staff, the Executive Director, Ausdance Vic and Ausdance Network as appropriate.
• Prepare the preliminary Ausdance budget for consultation with the Executive Director.
• Prepare project budgets and guide team members in such development.
• Manage expenditure and revenue within budget.
• Tracking & reporting on operational & project budgets.
• Manage financial records, accounting systems, monthly accounts, and budget variation reports, facilitate audits.
• Coordinate all government reporting for allocated funding.
• Work with relevant consultants and Board members to ensure a core suite of contractual documents, for use in all commercial and internal contractual arrangements.
• Negotiate and execute contracts within the scope of authority set out by the Board.
• Manage the delivery and performance standards of all contracts.
The General Manager deputises for the Executive Director as requested at high-level external meetings and events and with Board requests.
This role holds overall responsibility for membership (engagement with artists).
• Be and ensure the team has regular contact with members and potential members.
• Lead the team to understand and manage memberships through our CRM.
• Ensure members are communicated with regularly (targeted and effective communication).
• Work with the team to create events, opportunities, and information for members.
• Increase membership & benefits via our membership engagement strategy.
• Input to and attend Ausdance NSW events and programs.
• Manage and develop external relationships on both a day to day and long term level with Members, partners, Arts’ Organisations, Key Stakeholders and Funding Bodies.
• Degree in a Business discipline would be an advantage.
• Project Management qualifications are desirable.
The successful applicant will have experience in
• Operational planning (financial, marketing, project, organisational development),
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a small team in a creative or arts environment.
• Significant experience in the management of projects, in a not-for-profit or member organisation.
• Strong financial acumen.
• Knowledge of marketing including digital and social media.
• Strong stakeholder and partnership management and engagement record.
• Experience in writing successful grant applications/acquittals.
• High level of written and verbal reporting.
• Working knowledge of the dance sector.
• Ability to maintain and develop key relationships
• External reputation as a positive and proactive representation of an organisation.
• Reliable and responsible.
• Driven leader and a team player.
• Patient and Pragmatic.
• Clear Communicator.
• Analytical thinker.