Next Application Round Coming in 2020
Innovating Dance Practice Grant Guidelines
The Innovating Dance Practice grant is an initiative of Ausdance NSW to assist professional dance practitioners residing in NSW to develop and innovate their practice through funds made available by Create NSW on behalf of the NSW Government.
The grant provides assistance to realise an opportunity that inspires new work, knowledge and skills, for example:
- program of activity that develops your professional practice
- secondment with an organisation
- mentorship with an individual
- residencies involving innovative approaches to your working practice.
- Please note that creative developments and presentations are not supported by this grant.
Your proposal must engage with at least one of the following Create NSW, Arts and Cultural Development Program (ACDP) priorities:
- People living and/or working in regional NSW
- people living and/or working in Western Sydney
- Aboriginal people
- people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- people with disability
- young people
Funds can be used to cover any costs associated with your activities, such as artist fees, materials and equipment, travel (including international travel), venue/studio rental fees, registration fees, workshops, conferences or documentation.
Funding Available: Applicants can apply for up to $5,000
Applications must be submitted by 5pm (AEST) on the closing date.
Late or incomplete applications will not be assessed.
- Quality of the program, artistic merit and rationale of the proposal
- Track record of the practitioner/s involved
- Benefit to the individual’s dance practice
- Viability of the entire program and associated budget.
Applications will be assessed by an independent panel of industry professionals, facilitated by Ausdance NSW.
- Applicants must be professional dance practitioners.
- Applicants must engage with at least one Create NSW ACDP priority.
- Applicants must be an Australian citizen or have permanent resident status in Australia AND have been a resident in NSW for at least 12 months preceding the application date.
- Grants are not available for retrospective activities. Funds are only provided to undertake projects or activities that fall within the project period specified.
- Projects undertaken to meet full-time educational course requirements are ineligible for funding.
- Applicants must be a current Ausdance NSW member.
- Become an Ausdance member here https://ausdancensw.com.au/us/become-member
Applicants may discuss their applications with Ausdance NSW staff. The online applications are managed through Create NSW’s secure online grants system – SmartyGrants. You must create a SmartyGrants account before you can proceed with your application.
The link to SmartyGrants is: https://artsnsw.smartygrants.com.au/2019AusdanceIDP
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What does professional mean?
Applicants must be a professional dance practitioner (dancer, choreographer, director). A professional practitioner must have a commitment to arts/cultural work as a major aspect of their working life, even if this work is not the main source of their income. The term professional is intended to indicate a degree of training, experience or manner of working that allows their work to be assessed against the highest practice and standards in their relevant artform/discipline.
Can I devise my own professional development program?
Yes – include a timetable and organise where you would like your program to take place. An example: A choreographer wanting to explore work in a new setting, might want to apply for a paid secondment within a different artform or context e.g. a gallery, film company, theatre company, digital design company, gaming company, or international company.
What can I spend my budget on?
Anything that supports your project. You can spend your budget on: fees (yourself and mentor), travel (including international travel), accommodation, training; e.g. master classes; dance/choreography or courses: business, film editing, website design, etc.
Applicants can provide supporting documentation with the grant application. Limits to the size of files you can upload are noted on the application in SmartyGrants.
Successful Applicant Requirements
Results of the assessment are communicated by email. Please allow at least 12 weeks from the closing date before making enquiries.
Grants must be expended as outlined in the application unless prior written permission to make a variation has been asked for and given by Ausdance NSW. Successful applicants must submit an acquittal report available through SmartyGrants.